Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cats in the Cradle- by a faci


Cats in the cradle


Hello Class,

Over the years, each of us would have listen to many songs. Songs act as milestone in our life, listening to it evokes emotion like some scent. Songs sometimes are teachers in disguise, if we stop and wonder and listen to its hidden meaning. The song can send different messages to different people or the same person, the same song may send different message each time we listen to it again.

"Cats in the cradle and the silver spoon" is one of those song for me. Each time I stop and listen to it, it share a different message/lesson.

Like an onion, one can analyse and peel the song and it has so many meanings. To some, it is about a father and a son. To another, it is a reminder to spend time with love one. Then again some one said it is a wake up call.

While the song was written in US, in the 70s, it is becoming more and more pertinent in our self achievement oriented. In one of my job, one of my colleague was nicknamed "Father Christmas". He fly so much in his position, his family don't get to see him (for more than 2-3 days at a time) except during Christmas.

When I first heard of this song (on the radio, yes normal radio, not internet radio that one can wind it back instantly), somehow it stop me in my track. I did not hear in again until sometime later. I realised I have to be careful on the amount of time spent flying on business and not seeing my kids. Ultimately, it lead me to quit corporate life. (and hey, I have not recover the TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE, I used to get, so, stop for a moment and send me donation via Paypal, hehehehe)


The underlying message could also be : spend time doing what is important and not urgent. As you attend class each day, ask : what is important and what is urgent?. Putting slides together is urgent, but the discussion, researching, thinking, analysis is important and where most of the learning take place.

There are just too many dimensions in the song to analyse fully. I shall stop here. If you like the song, listen to also "Anak" by Freddie Aguilar - a much simpler, one dimension song. Listen to the Tagalog version first (to feel the soul) and then to the English version to understand.

PS : Freddie sing live(once a week) in Manila at the Hobbit House- a kind of a pub. Try to catch him live.

And if you have similar song (those that touches you), do share with me. DON"T BE LAZY. You don't need an account to comment. Just post a comment on the right. You can send anon comment too.

No comments: